WHY YOU SHOULD USE IT:
- Leather clothing, equipment and accessories will absorb water and ‘wet out’ when used in damp or wet conditions if their Durable Water Repellency (DWR) has been compromised.
- When leather absorbs water, tanning agents and lubricants are lost, which causes the leather to become dry, stiff and prone to splitting. Over time this will cause the structure of leather to degrade.
- Additionally, when leather is wet its breathability is reduced. This causes leather clothing to become sweaty and wet inside from condensation.
- Therefore, the DWR of your leather gear must be maintained to ensure comfort and performance. Through use, the DWR applied to leather gear will be lost through abrasion. Nikwax Leather Restorer™ adds DWR and nourishes leather with tanning agents and lubricants keeping it in top condition and helping your gear to perform better and for longer.
- Leather is hardwearing and breathable, making it an ideal material for use in the production of protective clothing, equipment and accessories.
- During leather production, tanning agents are added to maintain the structure of leather and prevent microbial growth. If leather absorbs water, tanning agents will be lost. Over time this will compromise the structure of leather. Additionally, if leather becomes wet its breathability will be reduced. This is especially important for users of leather clothing, as reduced breathability can lead to condensation forming inside clothing, reducing the comfort of the wearer.
- To prevent water absorption, Nikwax Leather Restorer™ should be used to add Durable Water Repellency (DWR) to leather gear.
- Leather is a versatile material and as such is used in a number of applications, including protective clothing for motorcyclists, saddles and tack for horse riding, and panniers for cyclists. Nikwax Leather Restorer™ will help your equipment to perform better and for longer.
WHEN YOU SHOULD USE IT:
- Your waterproof leather gear could be soaking up water just because it is dirty. First, try cleaning it with Nikwax Leather Cleaner™, and if it is fairly new, or recently re-waterproofed, the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) will be revitalised just from cleaning. But, once leather gear has been thoroughly worn or used you will need to add DWR by using Nikwax Leather Restorer™.
- Traditional leather conditioning products may be made with animal fats and therefore encourage microbial growth, which can affect the stitching on your gear and also encourage leather to rot! Additionally, these traditional leather conditioning products are easily over applied and this can damage the structure of your gear.
It is very difficult to over apply Nikwax Leather Restorer™ because it is a WaterBased product and stops being absorbed once the leather is fully treated.
- Nikwax Leather Restorer™ has been developed and optimised to provide Durable Water Repellency (DWR) for leather equipment, accessories and protective clothing.
- To add DWR to smooth leather footwear use Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather™ or Nikwax Conditioner for Leather™ to restore suppleness to dried out leather, without over-softening. For nubuck or suede leather use Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof™. For fabric and leather combination footwear use Nikwax Fabric and Leather Proof™.
HOW YOU SHOULD USE IT:
- Nikwax Leather Restorer™ has been specifically designed and optimised for breathable waterproof smooth leather gear. It adds Durable Water Repellency (DWR) to smooth leather, maintaining breathability and conditions leather by replenishing tanning agents and lubricants.
- Nikwax Leather Restorer™ is absorbed into the leather where it is needed most and will not over-soften. Being WaterBased it can be used on wet or dry leather. It is non-flammable, contains no harmful solvents and is free of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and fluorocarbons.
For best results always clean item(s) first with Nikwax Leather Cleaner™. No need to dry item(s) before waterproofing. Shake well before use. Follow care label instructions.
- Protect working surface and lay clean fastened wet item flat.
- Hold bottle 15 cm/6 inches away from item.
- Apply evenly to outside of item.
- Wait for 2 minutes.
- Remove any surplus product and rub in well with a lint free cloth.
- Check carefully to ensure no areas have been missed.
Note: For light/Coloured leather test on a hidden area first.
To waterproof smooth leather footwear use Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather™ (non-softening treatment) or Nikwax Conditioner for Leather™ (softening treatment). To waterproof nubuck or suede leather use Nikwax Nubuck and Suede Proof™. To waterproof fabric and leather combination footwear use Nikwax Fabric and Leather Proof™